Friday, August 3, 2007

Friday August 3, 2007

Angel thinking in our garden this morning
Yeah! It is finally Friday - this week has been a hard one for me since I was sick. Finally I am feeling much better, with a slight nose issue. I am drinking lots of water and hoping my raw vegan diet is going to succeed this bad case that I have had most recently. I am positive though so I am sure it will work. It's better than taking chemical based drugs! Then again everything...

So, anyways, today is Friday and I am really looking forward to the weekend. Tomorrow morning is our neighborhood farmers' market - that means good food is coming our way! Once a person becomes more involved with healthy eating, helping support the local farmers' is a major part of life. Plus, the food is usually much better since most products are 100% organic! Yum! In addition, supporting local farmer's keep the economy thriving and protects overproduction of mass produced marketplaces such as Wal-Mart.

Today, as I stated I am feeling a ton better... Last night I cracked open a watermelon and ate about half of it for dinner. There is nothing like fresh farm grown watermelon. We like the sweet variety that almost looks black on the outside - I would suggest it to anyone. Plus there are almost no seeds. Right now they are in season for the Midwest so it is the perfect time to feast on them. The season will be over soon and apple season will be coming around the corner, so take advantage now.

My husband and I cheated on our raw vegan diet though for lunch. We had pasta (the Italian kind with the whole through the center and looks like spaghetti) with sun-dried tomatoes, onions, purple cabbage, fresh herbs and some sea salt. Yum!!! It was the best! Oh, and we crumbled a little Gorgonzola cheese on top. I am addicted to cheese, after growing up near a cow farm, so I could never 100% give up cheese. Moderation is the key though I think. I think there is a lot of confusion though on the idea of cow milk. Not all farmers' have machines to milk the cow and not all over feed to produce milk. If machines are not used for milking cows, it does not hurt the animal. In addition, if a cow was not milked, it would not live a healthy life. I suggest if you are going to cheat on cheese to look into the cow farm before purchasing your cheese. Look for a good one!

Tonight I believe I will feast on watermelon again and my husband will eat a "loaded" salad with raw carob brownies that I made the other day. We love those!

No comments: